I’ve spent the better part of 12 hours washing, trimming, and packing these little gems lovingly into their jars. I’m tired but the thought of enjoying a bowl of these during Dexter in the months to come kept me going. I still have at least 2 more batches to go but I’ve done 4 rounds today. And, with the bulk of it behind me I am convinced I can quit for the night.
RECIPE FOR DILLED CARROTS (from Bernardin):
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup pickling or canning salt
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 14 heads of fresh dill or 1/2 tsp of dill seed per jar
- 3 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 lbs carrots, ends removed and peeled (I use fresh garden carrots and scrub them well rather than peeling)
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine vinegar, water and salt. Stir well and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve salt.
- Place 1/2 to 1 clove of garlic, 1 head of dill and 1/2 tsp of hot pepper flakes, if using, in each hot jar. Pack carrots into hot jars to within a generous 1/2″ of top of jar. top with second head of dill. Ladle hot pickling liquid into jar to cover carrots, leaving 1/2″ headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool, label and store.
Put up Total:
- 27 x 500mL wide mouth mason jars