Chunky Zucchini Pickles
This is a new recipe for us but I have one huge and I mean super huge Zucchini from our great gardening growing friends, also Turnbulls.
RECIPE FOR CHUNKY ZUCCHINI PICKLES from Bernardin:
- 14 cups seeded, unpeeled zucchini (I peeled half of them because this zucchini was huge and the skin was tougher than smaller zucchini)
- 6 cups finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup pickling or canning salt
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp Clearjel (I have never seen this in stores but you can purchase it online ~ I used 2 tbsp of corn starch)
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, combine zucchini and onions. Sprinkle with pickling salt, cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer to a colander placed over a sink and drain thoroughly. Note: I also rinsed half the mixture because that is what I’ve done in the past with pickles…but it says DRAIN not rinse. They still seemed salty.
- Prepare for water-bath canning. Sterilize jars in the oven on 250F for 30 minutes.
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine sugar, Clearjel or corn starch, mustard, ginger and turmeric. Stir dry ingredients well. Gradually blend in water. Add vinegar and red pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar and prevent lumps from forming. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add drained zucchini mixture and return to a boil.
- Ladle hot zucchini mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2″ headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding more hot zucchini mixture. Wipe rim with a damp paper towel. Place snaps and rings on each jar, screwing bands down until they are fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a full rolling boil and process for 10 minutes. When time is up, turn off heat, remove canner lid and wait 5 minutes before removing jars to a folded towel on the counter.
- Check seals, label, and store. Refrigerate any unsealed jars.
Put up Total:
- 6 x 500mL wide mouth mason jars
NOTE: This recipe was supposed to yield 7 x 500mL. I did have a lot of liquid left over that may have resulted in another jar if I had dispersed it better…but I don’t like too much liquid in the jars.