I “Heart” Cinnamon Heart Marmalade
Happy Valentines Day!
Have you ever wondered what your favorite candy would taste like all done up in a jar of delicious marmalade or jam? Well, in the spirit of loving and sharing special moments together, Matt and I thought we’d give it a whirl.
Matt “hearts” cinnamon hearts and we figured there was no better way to show his love for these red little delights than to make them the focus of a marmalade fit for gifting to the one you love on Valentine’s Day. This was truly an experiment, something that came to us in one of those crazy states of trying to reinvent the wheel. But, believe it or not it worked…and worked well. The only thing we would have done differently was to add MORE cinnamon hearts.
RECIPE FOR CINNAMON HEART MARMALADE:
- 5 honey tangerines ~ fruit and peel
- 3 honey tangerines for juice equaling 1 cup
- 2 lemons ~ fruit and peel
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound 4 oz granulated white sugar or 3 cups of granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon hearts or 48 individual hearts selected with a loving touch ~ we only used 2 tsp or 24 hearts and wish we’d added more!
- Put 5 spoons and a plate in the freezer to test for doneness later on. Prepare for water bath canning.
- Peel oranges and lemons. Cut the peel into thin strips or how you wish the finished product/peel to appear. Driven by passion, we used a small antique heart-shaped punch to make all of the peeled rinds into hearts. It takes time and blisters may form on soft tender hands but it’s worth it. First, the oranges… And, the lemons…hence the blisters.
- Bring orange juice, orange and lemon HEARTS or peel strips, and water to a boil. Simmer over medium-high heat for approximately 20 minutes or until rinds become semi-translucent.
- Meanwhile, segment oranges and lemons removing as much of the rind and membrane as possible leaving you with just pulp.
- Add segmented oranges, lemons, sugar and cinnamon hearts to the HEART shaped peels. Bring to a lively simmer and boil for approximately 30 minutes or until the marmalade has set. Use frozen spoons and/or plate to check for doneness.
- Skim if necessary and ladle hot marmalade into sterilized jars (we sterilize our jars in the oven at 250F for 30 minutes). Leave a 1/4″ headspace, remove bubbles, add more marmalade if necessary, wipe rims, and put sterilized rings and lids (or in this case we used 1 piece lids) on to finger tip tight and process for 10 minutes.
- Turn off element, remove lid and let jars stand in the hot water bath for 5 minutes. Remove jars, let cool, check seals, label, and store.
Put up Total:
- 3 x 270mL jars with one piece lids