Eat’n Up ~ Spicy Salsa Omelette
For the most part, weekends here are spent cooking, canning, and experimenting in the kitchen. As well as, playing, walking, and enjoying the outdoors with our 3 Labrador’s.
Today, Matt whipped up the most delicious spicy salsa omelette using our home canned Parrots Head Spicy Salsa. It was so tasty and filling I just can’t help sharing it. Really this can be done using any kind of home canned salsa and any kind of ingredients you like in your omelette…but here is what we did.
RECIPE FOR SPICY SALSA OMELETTE (serves 4):
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 8 eggs
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 x 250mL (1/2 pint) jar of homemade Salsa
- 1 cup grated old cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Chop bacon, saute until brown, and add onions for the last 2 minutes of sauteing
- Crack eggs into a bowl and beat. Pour eggs into saute pan and stir to combine bacon, onions, and eggs well.
- Sprinkle oregano and basil over the top of the mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until omelette begins to set.
- Spoon on salsa and spread over the entire surface of the omelette.
- Grate and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Put under oven broiler until cheese has melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
It’s a great way to use a jar of home canned salsa to add great favour to omelettes or even scrambled eggs. And, it really is so easy; I think next time I could do it!